Are your MSP business goals sidetracked because of the shortage of qualified tech talent? If that’s the case, you’re not alone. This tech skill shortage affects small and large businesses around the world, making many of them struggle to reach their goals. All is not lost, you can try innovative methods to find the tech talent you need and develop a sustainable pipeline of skilled technology entrants.
Why the Shortage of Tech Talent?
It’s not only businesses that get frustrated when looking for quality tech talent, but the applicants also feel it. Even qualified IT talent has trouble finding jobs because the experience and qualifications that businesses demand, even for entry-level positions is out of reach. So, these tech job seekers can’t get through the door.
Another reason for the tech shortage is the expense of college education. Many qualified tech people are self-taught or attended one-year tech schools.
For these reasons, businesses need to forgo their unrealistic standards when it comes to hiring tech talent.
Tips on What You Can Do to Hire Quality Techs
The first thing to do is accept the fact that you will need to offer training to your new tech hires. Train your own entry-level techs for your MSP business.
- Focus on aptitude rather than credentials – Take advantage of the innovative minds of techs that want to expand their creative software developing talent and use their expertise on leading-edge projects. You can find this talent if you look beyond the demand for experience and degrees.
- Mentor students majoring in technology – Research your local technology schools and colleges for enthusiastic students who would love to put their talents to use. You can mentor them before they even graduate, shaping them as your future technology professionals.
- Offer tech jobs to math or engineering majors – When hiring candidates with these types of majors, they can learn your technology requirements while on the job. On-the-job tech training results in a loyal and enthusiastic tech team.
- Ask your techs for recommendations – Take advantage of the team you have by asking them for recommendations for new talent.
- Research the Github database – Github is a site where code developers can host and share their projects in an open source platform. You can search all the developers on Github and see if any of the tech developers suit the tech roles you need.
- Check Stackoverflow talent – Stackoverflow is similar to Github and is the top question and answer site for tech developers and coders. You can see how the users are rated and the programming languages they use. Study the profiles and see if any of the users have the talents you need.
Attracting and retaining top tech talent will always be a challenge. However, if you adjust your recruitment practices and look beyond the traditional talent pools, you’ll secure strong IT candidates for your MSP business.