MSP sales performance cannot be defined by a particular personality trait of the salesperson. Superior sales rates depend on a combination of personality attributes. Top salespeople have a competitive edge over their rivals, and most of them display specific personalities and abilities that make them super sellers. The good news is that anyone can be successful in sales, if they’re willing to focus and practice on developing these traits.
Traits of Top Salespeople
If you’re working in MSP sales, you’ve probably noticed that the most successful salespeople have these personality traits in common:
If you can combine the following traits with the ones you already have, then you’ll be on the road to being a top seller.
- Positive attitude – Having a positive attitude and realistic expectations toward your sales job are essential for successful sales performance. If you have genuine enthusiasm in your sales approach, your positive attitude will be contagious, making your buyers enthusiastic, as well.
- Adaptability – Your willingness to change your work habits for a better way of doing things will make you a better salesperson. Always be flexible and willing to accept and use new ideas and sales techniques. You must also be able to adapt to a variety of buyers’ personalities and expectations.
- Build relationships – Building empathetic relationships with your customers is necessary for success in sales. If you’re compassionate and sensitive to the needs of your customers, you can build a trusting rapport with them. Once your customers trust you, they are more likely to stay with you for the long-term. It’s always easier to keep the customers you have than having to go out and find new ones.
- Self-Motivation – Since most salespeople work independently without supervision, it’s vital to be self-motivated. If you have the endurance to carry out your sales responsibilities without someone watching over your shoulder, then you have the self-motivation needed for sales success.
- Communication skills – The way you present yourself and your ideas to customers goes a long way toward whether you make a sale. Communicating effectively is the essence of sales. It entails sincere engagement with your customers through listening to what they have to say, responding quickly and sincerely, having excellent writing and oral communication skills, and emotional customer engagement.
- Time management – This goes hand-in-hand with self-motivation. Managing your time is an essential sales skill. If you’re not great at organizing your time and find yourself getting side-tracked, make use of time-management software or spreadsheets. This can help you manage the best way to spend your time with follow-ups, responding to inquiries, making calls, and any other sales-related responsibilities you have in your workday.
- Perseverance – Pursuing your goals in sales can have its discouraging moments. If you have the energy and perseverance to accept the challenges and obstacles that happen to all salespeople, then you’ll generate sales and loyal customers. Always believe in yourself and persevere, even when the obstacles seem to be overwhelming.
- Trustworthy – One of the most important factors for your customers is your trustworthiness and the inner qualities that exemplify your genuine moral character. In today’s business world, transparency and authenticity are being scrutinized more than ever before. If your customers believe in what you have to say, and you demonstrate that their needs are your top priority, then you’ll distinguish yourself as a top seller.
Once you understand the personality traits you need to work on to be a top performer in MSP sales, you’ll be well on your way to the top of your sales team. There’s no doubt that making sales is challenging, demanding, and oftentimes, discouraging. Just keep in mind that if you practice on developing the attributes you need to be at the top of the sales game, you will achieve success.