Your employees are your bread and butter. They are responsible for the success or failure of your MSP business. For this reason, be consistent in appreciating their efforts and openly praising their accomplishments. Every business is unique, so you have to develop an employee recognition system that works for your business. The system should build sincere relationships and trust with your employees.
Benefits of Employee Recognition Systems
When your employees feel valued, they stretch their efforts to perform at a higher level. It’s only human nature to want a simple thank-you for a job well done. Implementing an employee recognition plan can give your business the following benefits:
- Superior performance
- Higher employee retention rate
- Effective productivity
- Improved customer performance
- Positive workplace
- Employee loyalty
- Increased energy and morale
- Increased pride and trust in the business
- Increased ROI
Developing an Employee Recognition Strategy
Preparation is the key to developing an effective, long-term employee recognition strategy for your MSP business. When you develop your plan, keep your objectives and goals in mind. Your strategy should include ways to recognize your employees every time you interact with them, expressing your confidence in their abilities. Think about how you can incorporate recognition into all aspects of your employees’ day.
Recognition Strategies that Motivate Employees
Once you know the objectives you want from a recognition program, put it into effect. Incorporate the following proven strategies for motivating employees in a meaningful and sincere way:
- Always address your employees using their names so that they know they’re not just another face in the crowd
- Make Employee Appreciation Days part of your budget
- Perform simple, thoughtful recognition, such as a handwritten note or an email with details of a project with a sincere thank-you
- Praise your employees’ accomplishments immediately
- Give clear and meaningful praise in proportion to the accomplishment
- Offer educational opportunities so employees can reach their goals
- Offer special assignments to motivated employees
- Give points for punctuality, attendance, job performance, etc. and present gifts to the employees who reach the goal
- Award employees who show initiative with flex-time schedules
- Award productive employees with a limited time parking spots
- Have an event that recognizes employee performance
These are only a few of the ways you can recognize your employees on a daily basis. Always encourage your staff with authentic thanks for their contributions. As you make your decisions about how to recognize their accomplishments, take into account their culture and perspectives.
Track Employee Recognition Results
Each employee has different emotional needs, so it’s important to track which recognition strategies work for each employee. Track your employees’ personal preferences and personalize rewards to suit the person. By analyzing your results, you’ll get to know what your employees want, so you can respond to them in a personal way. This builds true relationships and trust with them, which results in increased employee retention. Use your results to build a connection with your staff by appreciating not just their performance, but also their value as a person.
Update your employee recognition strategies regularly to take the guesswork out of what works for each employee. Checking the tracking data gives you actionable tools for creating accurate and personalized appreciation rewards for all your team members. The most important aspect of recognizing your employees in a way they feel important is individualization.
Making employee recognition a top priority for your MSP business will boost employee morale, productivity, and your profits. With consistent recognition, your employees will be willing to tackle the toughest jobs and feel like they’re an integral part of your business. Showing appreciation to your staff creates a productive, loyal and motivated workplace.